Thursday, October 26, 2006

How Google can keep you dry.

Obviously, its a little wet today in KC, but not as wet as I thought it was going to be.

If you're like me, you probably woke up (reluctantly) and looked out the window to see dark skies and rain. I saw this and immediately though, "darn, I have to take the car to work now." Most unfortunate. However, when I walked out to the garage, I noticed that it really was only a slight drizzle, and no where near what I figure is to be too cold to jump on the scoot.

Long story short, I almost suckered myself into driving the car to work. The Weather Channel.com says its supposed to be in the mid 50s all day today, and seriously, I'm quite used to the "colder" weather of fall, and whereas a month ago I would have frozen to death, nowadays 40 degrees or warmer is like summer-heat on the bike. So, for those who did ride, call your non-riding friends who might have suckered themselves out of a enjoyable trip to work and... Give em grief :)

I think, because of KC's history of being really weather-awkward, I will start posting the next day's riding weather forecast. So, if you're at work, and want to have an idea if you can ride the next day and plan accordingly, at least you'll know what to expect. Of course, if I start doing this, I don't want to be blamed as the guy who keeps getting the weather wrong; I have no dreams of being a meteorologist.

Also, if you want to check the weather yourself, but happen to be away from a PC or TV, you can use your cellphone. Google SMS is a genius way to find info on anything via TXT Messaging! Its been around for a little bit, but nowadays its really, really easy to use! Just type in weather and then your zipcode. Send the txt msg to GOOGL or 46645 and wait a few seconds. For instance, right now, GOOGL SMS says:

Weather:
Overland Park, KS
56F, Overcast
Wind: E 5mph
Hum:97%
Th:43-56F, Chance
of Rain
F:38-56F, Chance of
Rain
Sa:41-63F, Mostly
Sunny


An entire 3-day forcast in the palm of your hand. Check out that site for more info, such as how to find the closest Chinese food joint or movie times. Its GENIUS!



11:18AM
Edit: Upon reading this post later, it occured to me that it looks like an advert for the Google SMS. This wasn't and advert, I just happen to really like using the SMS for stuff so I thought I'd share. Comes in handy when you're on the bike and in the middle of no where. Anyway, stay dry!
-Keef

No comments: