Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Its not so warm outside?


C-c-c-coldddddd?

Yeah, I think so.

Being next door to Sushi Gin, I get the opportunity to practice my knowledge of Japanese language every so often. I'll run into Gohan-san, thow out a "ohio gozaimasu" and he'll just wave as he walks into work. If I'm lucky, I get to say "konbanwa" as they leave for the evening and spark up a rather poorly spoken conversation. However, sometimes, I get a response in english, not because they're tired of my poor speaking skills, but because it creates emphasis and a feeling of "!"

Today, that feeling of "!" was , "Summer is gone already!!"

Being outside in just a t-shirt, shivering, I just nodded my head. Its getting colder folks, thus we gotta dress warmer, since the riding season is far from over! That said, I thought I'd share a few tips with you on how to keep your wits about you as you ride during the cool fall season.

  • Thermal Layer or Fleece underwear. It keeps you toasty and creates a pocket of warm air between your skin and the enviornment.
  • A windblocker or windbreaker. Weather underneath your jacket or outside of your clothing, it'll keep the cold air from robbing you of your warmth.
  • Gauntlet style gloves. Sure, your summer gloves may work sorta-ok, but gauntlet style gloves keep not only your fingers from numbing out, but keep your wrists warm and protect your arms from air that would otherwise sneak in underneath your sleeves.
  • Full face helmet. It'll keep you warmer than the 3/4 or shorty your using for summer riding, and when coupled with a bandana or balaclava, it'll keep the cold of your neck and chin as well.
  • Windshields. May be dorky to some, but man do they work during the fall and winter months! Big enough to deflect the cold away from your chest, but small enough to look over, these optional treats can really extend your riding season!
  • Chemical heat. Those heat-packs are nice portable and disposable ways to keep yourself cush and feeling oh-so-lux while riding to work. Some of them can generate heat up to 150 degrees, so you should keep them off your skin and place them in a vest/jacket pocket or if your gloves have heat pack zippers, in there.
  • Hydration. The colder you are, the harder it is to realize that you may be dehydrated, but you can still sweat out there. Caffiene and alcohol won't help, but sweet-tasting drinks will charge up the body with good carbs to help with warmth.

If you folks out there have any other tips to add, send me an email and I'll be sure to let everyone else know. Till then..

Stay warm and keep riding!

-Keef

No comments: